Custom Search

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Display Board

Hey guys me again. Sadly this isn't a Wulf Boyz post but rather something I have wanted to show off for a while. While looking around the net and listening to some pod casts a while back the Battlefoam x-board got announced, a nice portable display board that you can build different ways and paint up any way you wish. Now I sort of liked the idea but this brought on an idea in my head. Since I have several different armies I take to tournaments and they are all based different I wanted a way that would let me not have to build 3 or 4 different display boards and then find a home for them in my house.

So first I made a foam display board out of 1" foam. The first one I made was for my Blood Angels. So it came out like this (though it is still work in progress).

Photobucket

Next I took and extra piece of plywood I had laying around. When I had an 8'x4' sheet of plywood that was cut down to 6'x4' to use for my gaming table. This left a 2'x4' piece that I could cut down to a size a little bigger then the size of the foam. From there I picked up what is essentially door frame trim wood. I picked up trim that was 1" tall which made it the same height of the foam display board. I used wood glue and screws to screw the trim around the edge of the plywood. I then drilled out two 3" holes in the plywood, these are there actually to help with pushing the foam display boards out of the main display board piece. After all that I painted it with a gloss black paint and then used a gloss varnish on it to make it look really nice. It ended up looking like this.

Photobucket

After that I found that it was pretty heavy and sat flat on the table so it was hard to pick up. It looked like this.

Photobucket

So I went out to pick up something to make it easier to pick up the display board. I actually ended up with chair legs. So I mounted them to the bottom of it. So I then wrapped the edge of the foam display board with black duct tape and wrapped this along the side around to the bottom. This helps the foam slip into the wood section easier. With the legs and foam in it looks like this.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now that is what it looks like so far. I like it the way it is at the moment. However now looking at it, I think I plan to add a shelf under it to hold things like dice, templates, books and the like. Till then, here it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment